Friday, February 15, 2013

Finished Sweater!

Here is my first finished sweater of 2013 - the Aidez Sweater. Check out my Ravelry project page here.


I really loved working with this pattern. I was inspired to knit this particular sweater after reading about the sweater knit-along on the Celtic Cast On blog back in the fall. Every finished sweater featured on the blog just looked so cozy. I didn't have time to start it then (Christmas knitting was far more important) but it seemed like the perfect sweater to knit in January and I am loving it.

When I knit sweaters for myself I typically have to lengthen the entire pattern by two inches (or more) but this time I knit the body of the sweater as written and just lengthened the sleeves and it turned out great! In my opinion, the ability to customize a pattern is one of the best things about knitting your own sweaters. I'm a little taller than the average woman and I often find that off-the-rack sweaters just aren't as long as I'd like (especially in the sleeve area). It's so nice to be able to have sleeves that fit! My wrists get cold this time of year.


Of course, if you do plan to lengthen any part of your sweater always remember to get more yarn than what is called for in the pattern. If I'm just planning on lengthening the sleeves, I can usually get away with just an extra skein, but if I plan to also alter the body sometimes I'll get 2-3 extras, just in case. My motto is that it's always better to have too much more yarn than not enough! It's terribly stressful to be happily knitting away on a project and suddenly realize that you might not have enough yarn to finish. I've actually found that I start knitting faster at that point (as if that's going to make the yarn last longer)!

What's your favorite go-to customization?


As you can probably tell, it was cold and a bit windy that day. But, it wasn't raining or snowing, so we seized the opportunity to get some pictures. Many thanks to my wonderful husband who helped me get some lovely shots.

And of course, since it's the day after Valentine's Day, I have to share a picture of the beautiful tulips that surprised me at work yesterday. Aren't they beautiful?!







2 comments:

  1. Beautiful sweater on a beautiful young lady...and beautiful tulips, too...way to go Rob!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sweater is lovely!!! AND, since you like to be warm and toasty, it fits you to a tee!!! Beautiful pictures, Rob did a great job with those and with the flowers, I might add!!! Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete