Sunday, February 24, 2013

Learning Something New

Yesterday I got the chance to attend the Gathering of the Guilds event in Harrisburg. Several fiber and needlework-based guilds came together in this annual event to share their talents. It was a great day - I even got to take a class on beaded knitting. I've been fascinated with the thought of adding beads to my knitting for a while. I thought it would look especially nice on the edge of a shawl, but I was hesitant to give it a try since I'd never actually seen it done. I could never figure out how they got the beads onto the yarn!

So yesterday I finally got to try it. And, as with most things in knitting, it was actually much easier than it looked. Here's my first attempt:


It's pretty slow going. I'm usually a fairly quick knitter, but I have a feeling that it would be very hard to go back and fix any mistakes, so I'm taking it pretty slow. I think it's going to be very pretty eventually - but as you can see, I've got a lot of beads to go!


I also met a very nice woman who has alpacas. She had some wonderful yarn for sale in a variety of colors (natural and dyed). It was really interesting to see the difference in the fiber produced by each animal. I brought home a lovely hank of black alpaca yarn. It's so soft! I'm still debating what it should become, but right now I'm considering either a cowl or a pair of fingerless mitts that have been in my Ravelry queue forever.


There's a lot of stealth knitting going on here, so unfortunately I can't share any finished projects today. But rest assured, there are some very cute little creatures sitting on my shelf right now!





1 comment:

  1. This year is the first time I missed the gathering! I'm glad you enjoyed it. :-)

    ReplyDelete