Saturday, March 30, 2013

Easter Adventures

Today was the Easter gathering for my mom's side of the family. We had an Easter egg hunt for the little people and then a dinner afterward. I volunteered to bring a dessert and decided on cupcakes. We received the book, "Hello, Cupcake" as a wedding gift almost three years ago and I had yet to make anything from it so I decided to make the "Rabbit Holes" cupcakes.


It was quite an adventure. I decided to use the recipe from the back of the book for the vanilla cupcakes. It was the first time I'd ever made cupcakes from scratch. I'd always just used the mixes and they were fine, but this time I thought I'd try something new.

I think they turned out ok. They weren't very moist, but still passable. Anyway, the whole point of these cupcakes was the frosting design. I just loved the frosted grass and the little bunny feet sticking up out of the bunny holes. The feet were made out of white circus peanuts - and let me tell you, they are a rare item! We went to at least five stores trying to find the elusive white circus peanut. There are multitudes of orange ones, but no one seemed to carry the ones I needed. We even drove out to Cracker Barrel because they occasionally stock more unique candies but they also only had the orange ones.

I had heard about a specialty candy shop in Lancaster that said they had the white ones in a variety bag so I decided to drive there on Friday. But right before I was ready to go, I talked to our library director. She suggested I try the Country Store in Mount Joy before driving all the way to Lancaster. Lo and behold, they had white circus peanuts! I can't even begin to describe how ridiculously happy I was to find them, even if they were in a variety bag. (Just a note - if anyone fancies some circus peanuts, I have an practically full bag that I'd be more than happy to share. Just don't expect to find many white ones!)

So last night I baked the cupcakes so they would have enough time to cool.


I got up early this morning to do the icing. I wasn't entirely sure how long it would take me to get all the cupcakes done, especially since each little blade of grass had to be piped on individually. But once I got the hang of it, it went fairly quickly and I was able to get the whole batch done by noon.

I think they turned out pretty cute!


Don't worry - we'll be back to knitting in my next post. I just had to share my circus peanut adventure!





1 comment:

  1. Loved seeing your cupcakes in the making.....but even more incredible to see the real thing!!! Awesome creativity!!! Loved them and loved being with everyone. Happy Easter!! Have fun tomorrow!!! Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete