Friday, March 8, 2013

Socks!

When I was a new knitter, I often read about people who were obsessed with knitting socks. People such as the "Yarn Harlot" (who has got to have one of the funniest blogs about knitting I've ever read - check it out here) that actually take their partially knitted socks on trips with them and take photos of the aforementioned socks to document their presence at all kinds of events. I didn't really get it. Who does that?!

Perhaps I've stepped over to the dark side, but I'm starting to see what they're talking about. It is absolutely wonderful to have a simple go-to sock project that you can pick up and take along at a moment's notice. My current favorite for travel knitting is the "How I Make My Socks" pattern by Susan B. Anderson. Just simple top-down stockinette knitting with a bit of ribbing at the top to keep them from sliding down. It's also a great way to showcase beautiful yarn! Check out my Ravelry project pages here and here and here. (Can you tell I'm a fan?)

In the last few weeks I've really noticed how much I've missed having a pair of simple socks on the needles. As I worked hard to finish my little stealth projects in time for Easter, I tried to practice some project monogamy. (I was not entirely successful.) But what do you do when you get to the point where you need to add stuffing to your project while you're sitting at the doctor's office? I have yet to figure out how to pack stuffing without needing a gigantic tote bag...and my goal is not to run around town looking like some demented lady that needs to travel with spare bits of fluff. So instead I find myself sitting in the waiting room with a partially finished creature that needs some stuffing before I can go any further. It's terribly depressing.

But happy day! Knit Picks had a sock yarn sale this week - so I have been happily reunited with my travel sock project. I got some lovely colors in the Stroll Tonal Fingering Weight collection. Here are Blue Violet, Pacific and Thunderhead.


Aren't they pretty? Now the question is, which one should I cast on first?

1 comment:

  1. I am knitting a pair of socks right now with Thunderhead!! We will have to show off our matching socks....then again, that probably is not a such a good idea for me, since you are the knitter extraordinaire!!! Have fun!!! Hugs!!!
    Aunt Deb

    ReplyDelete