Friday, April 5, 2013

Critters for Little People

Now that Easter has passed, I am happy to be able to share some finished object photos with you! Last year I made bunnies for my little niece and my cousin's little girls.

Easter 2012

This year, I decided to do a different animal for each child. Lydia received a lion. I had actually finished knitting the lion last summer, but had gotten caught up with other things and never managed to seam it together until a month or so ago. She's crazy about cats so I thought this time I would knit her a big kitty.
Pattern: Lion by Sarah Keen, found in her book "Knitted Wild Animals"
Anna received a reversible toy - an egg in a nest that can turn into a bluebird.

Pattern: Egg to Bluebird and a Little Nest, Too by Susan B. Anderson, found in her book "Itty Bitty Toys"

Amiah received a frog that could also turn into a turtle. She was so cute - the basket with her new animal didn't come off her arm until dinner. :)

Pattern: Frog and Turtle by Susan B. Anderson, also in "Itty Bitty Toys"


And finally, Alanna received a yellow duck. Although it is not reversible like her sisters' toys, I thought it turned out to be rather cute.

Pattern: Mama Duck and Ducklings by Susan B. Anderson, in "Itty Bitty Toys"


All in all, I think it was a success! And the best part is, aside from the lion, I knit every animal with yarn from my stash. I have a fairly large collection of partially used balls of yarn. Most were left over from other projects and I felt like I should keep them. Yarn is yarn, after all. But I'm starting to have a little space issue. So I dove into the stash to create the animals. Knitting stuffed animals is a great way to use up some extra bits of yarn!

Does anyone else have a growing collection of partially used skeins of yarn? What do you do with them? Leave a comment and share your tips and tricks.

1 comment:

  1. Once again, your critter creations are such a big hit!! And, a wonderful way for you to use up some of your stash.....great idea!!! Oh my yes, I have yarn here, there, and everywhere. Years ago, I used a bunch in a simple garter stitch afghan, holding two strands together as I knitted away.....and now, I have another afghan in the works, for which I actually have a pattern. I started this one several years ago, and have not gotten back to it for awhile. It uses different weights and textures of yarn every few rows.....and, it is knitted lengthwise, so when you add a new color, you just leave a tail of yarn and voila!!! Instant fringe!!!
    Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete