Sunday, April 21, 2013

WIP: Bobble Sheep Pillow

I have a work in progress to share with you today. It's the Bobble Sheep Pillow - a free pattern from Purl Soho. So far, I have completed the body of the sheep, which consisted of rows and rows of bobbles. Although bobbles are not particularly difficult, I find them to be fairly time consuming to create.


This project is also my first attempt at a provisional cast on (it's the pink yarn at the bottom of the body). A provisional cast on is used when you want to have the access to live stitches at the beginning of the work. In this case, when you're ready to use those stitches you would carefully undo the crochet row (the pink), which will leave you with a row of live stitches that could then be picked up in order to graft the opening closed after stuffing.

The sheep's body is knit in Berroco Vintage Chunky, purchased from Yarn Love in Hummelstown. It's the same yarn I used for my Aidez Cardigan. I had almost two hanks left over from that project so I decided to use it for the sheep pillow.

The head and feet of the sheep will be knit with the handspun alpaca that I purchased at the Gathering of the Guilds in February. Originally this yarn was going to be a cowl, but I didn't have enough yardage for it to work.


I'm hoping to be able to start on the sheep's head later today. I got distracted by a stealth project so the poor sheep has been headless for a little while! I love knitting things for gifts - the only downside is that I often can't share them with you until much later. I wouldn't want to ruin the surprise by posting pictures too early (just in case the recipient is actually reading this blog)!

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a beautiful headless sheep in progress...you are so talented...can't wait to see the finished project. Someone will have a good time trying to sleep and counting sheep with this pillow...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paula.....thanks for explaining the provisional cast on. I have seen that in instructions and never seemed to be able to grasp how to do it. However, your explanation made sense!!! Do you know that Pam, the owner of Yarn Love in Hummelstown, is my cousin? Small world!!!
    Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete