Sunday, May 26, 2013

Just a little cupcake

Hi there! Just checking in to say hello and show off this tiny cupcake hat.

Pattern: A combination of several different hat patterns
Size: 6-12 months, approximately
Yarn: Worsted, Cascade 220 in cream & red, Bernat Satin Solids in light pink
Needles: size 5 circulars and dpns

I've knit this hat several times before, but this time I tweaked my routine to make the hat a bit smaller. My niece has a hat very similar to this, but that one fit her at 1-2 years and was knit with size 7 needles. This particular hat was knit with size 5 needles.  The bottom part of the hat is very stretchy due to the k2, p2 rib so there can be quite a bit of wiggle room as far as sizing. Simply changing the needle size and knitting to 5-1/2 inches (rather than 6 inches as I usually do) before beginning the decreases at the top seemed to do the trick. 

I just love the ruffle edging - I think it really adds a lot to this little hat! To create this sweet ruffle edge, pick up and knit every other stitch at the point where the cupcake turns to frosting (in this case, where the cream meets the pink). Then, knit one round. Round 2: kfb in every stitch. Round 3: Knit every stitch. Round 4: kfb in every stitch. Round 5: Knit every stitch. Bind off. This creates a very easy ruffle around the edge of the cupcake! Doesn't it look yummy?

No comments:

Post a Comment