Friday, October 4, 2013

Behind the Scenes

Fall is just speeding by. I can't believe that we're into the first week of October already! I feel like I just wrote about my knit-worthy husband's birthday and turned around to find that a month had passed. 


But then I happen upon a tree like this, and autumn seems to be everywhere. My walks home are now filled with the wonderful sound of leaves crunching under my feet and I've been having a great time watching the squirrels run around with their acorns.


I saw these purple berries on my walk through campus to work this morning. I have no idea what plant it is - the amazing color just caught my eye!

There has been a lot of knitting going on here - just not much I can share publicly right now. Stealthy Christmas knitting is in full swing, which makes posting any interesting knitting pictures a bit tricky. However, I did manage to sneak in a little charity knitting. These mittens were knit last weekend. (Thank goodness for worsted-weight yarn! It's amazing how much you can get done.)


I recently became a member of the Centre County Knitters Guild. One of their goals is to do knitting for the community, so they knit hats, mittens/gloves and scarves and then donate them to local organizations. These organizations then distribute the knitted items to those who need them. I decided to do some stash-busting and used some yarn that I've had languishing in a box. The local organizations require the knitted items to be machine-washable, so this was the perfect time to use some of my acrylic blends. 

I got inspired and knit a hat to make a set. 


As you can see, my model was thrilled! 


Actually, he's just quite silly - and a sweetheart for modeling winter things that he doesn't even get to keep! :) 


Mitten information:
Pattern: Waiting for Winter Mittens by Susan B. Anderson
Yarn: Lion Brand Wool-Ease Solids (exact colors unknown - the ball bands disappeared long ago)

Hat information:
Pattern: Quick-Knit Hat by Cynthia Spencer
Yarn: Lion Brand Wool-Ease Solids 

No comments:

Post a Comment