Saturday, November 2, 2013

Something New

Just recently, I finished my first stranded knitting project. For those of you who aren't familiar, stranded knitting (sometimes called Fair Isle knitting) is when you knit with two or more colors in the same row. The color that is not currently being knit is carried along the back of the work until you need to use it.

Several weeks ago I was asked to knit a Christmas stocking for one of the new babies in our family. I had knit a stocking for her brother, Nolan, several years ago. 

Here's Nolan's stocking, made in 2010. 

I thought about making something similar for Olivia, but I had been admiring some stocking patterns on Ravelry and really wanted to give it a try. 

And here is Olivia's stocking: 


I really like how the colors turned out. It was so much fun to knit each row and watch the pattern emerge. The pattern is "A NEW Family Portrait - A Collection of Three Christmas Stockings" by Dorene Delaney Giordano. Check out my Ravelry project page here

This stocking was knit with Cascade 220 Sport in Ruby and White. It was knit toe-up and started with a Turkish cast-on, which was also new for me, as well as a short-row heel. So learning lots of new things this time! 

I also wanted to share a little hat that went to my newest cousin, Elijah. 



Since he was born in October he needed a pumpkin hat. 


He looks pretty cute in it, too! It's a tiny bit big, but he'll grow into it. :) That's one of the great things about knitting for kids - eventually, it'll probably fit! 

Well, I should get back to my knitting. Christmas is coming!! 

5 comments:

  1. Paula......I am so impressed with the red and white fair isle knitted stocking!!! You are absolutely amazing and ever so talented!!! See you guys in a few weeks!!! Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the stocking! Where did you get the pattern?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Leslie! Sorry I forgot to mention that. I've added the pattern information to my post! :)

      Delete
  3. Olivia's stocking turned out SO neat!!!! Love love love it.

    ReplyDelete