Saturday, January 4, 2014

Year of Making


After taking down all the Christmas decorations, the mantle felt a little bare. I added a colorful pom pom garland to chase away those gray January days. 

For a while now I've been following another knitter on Instagram as she posts a daily "Year of Making" picture. I loved getting a glimpse of her daily life as she made things for her house, friends and family. This year, I've decided to get in on the fun and will try to post a new "Year of Making" photo each day on Instagram. Follow me at "MissPaulaKnits". The nice thing is that to participate all you have to do is make something each day - knitting, sewing, dinner - just make something and post it to Instagram with the label #yearofmaking. 

Here's a "before" picture of the pom poms. 



And here's the massive pile of scraps, after!



I've also finished a knitting project.


Here's my yummy purple cabled neckwarmer, complete with purple buttons! I also lined it on the inside with fleece to make it extra squishy and warm. 


This is a better representation of the colors. I just love the light blue section! The entire neckwarmer has a bit of an ombre feel for the colors with several different shades of purple. I hadn't noticed it when I purchased the ball of yarn, but it was a nice surprise! The yarn is Noro Karuta. This was my first experience with this yarn and I would definitely use it again. The pattern is a printed pattern purchased from a LYS a few years ago. It's called "Cabled Neckwarmer #088" and has the name "Cabin Fever" on it, but I can't seem to find the correct pattern to link to on Ravelry. 


I got a nice surprise in the mail the other day - beautiful alpaca yarn! 
What a wonderful Christmas gift from my aunt and uncle. 

I just love the little tag that came with the yarn:


It is just so soft and the colors are lovely muted purples, greens and browns. I've decided to use it to make my first pair of fingerless mitts. The pattern is "Spring Foliage" from the beautiful book "Botanical Knits" by Alana Dakos of Never Not Knitting. Honestly, every pattern in this book is amazing. I've had a hard time choosing which one to knit first! 

As of last night, I had just finished the cuff of the first mitt. Leafy cables soon to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment