Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Off the Needles


Here they are - the latest socks off the needles! 

Pattern: Old Joe by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

Yarn: Wandering Wool North Counrty Sock in the Aurora Borealis colorway, purchased at the For the Love of Fiber event in February

Needles: Size US 1 dpns, bamboo



I think the variations of color in this yarn are really lovely and they work well for a men's sock, too. This pair now belongs to my husband, who is not able to model them for me right now. He's sick, and I think asking him to stand about and model socks when he's feeling badly is a little mean (even if I did just make incredibly nice, new socks for him). Perhaps I'll manage to get modeled pictures later on. 


Even the color of the socks was a big hit. I may try something even more colorful in the future!

I've been thinking a lot about what to do with my tiny bits of leftover sock yarn. I always seem to have at least a small ball left over, but can't seem to part with it. The fingering weight yarn leftovers I have are beautiful, so I'm trying to find a way to use them. 

One option in contention is the Magic Cake Ruffle Shawl by Paula Emons-Fuessle of the Knitting Pipeline podcast. She teaches how to attach the leftover yarn together to make a striped shawl. 

However, I'm also intrigued by the possibility of using the leftovers to make some sort of knitted blanket or quilt, like the Beekeeper's Quilt by Tiny Owl Knits or a mitered square blanket like Molly from A Homespun House is currently making. Both sound like really good ideas and they're both really beautiful. I'm just not sure I'll have the attention span to follow through and actually finish the blanket! 

Perhaps the Magic Cake Ruffle Shawl is the way to go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment